Welcome back folks,
Whilst recovering what appears to be a week long hangover from this stag do (Which was epic, Lisbon is great!), I have been getting back into the swing of things.
Despite becoming the most hated person in the office with all my parcels being delivered there (sorry!), I have started to make some headway in getting this thing bike back together.
Luckily, before I went on the stag do, I managed to get the ball rolling with a lot of the parts that needed outsourced i.e. more vapour blasting, powder coating and got my wheels dropped off at the wheel builder (more on that later). On a side note, look how good these parts have come up! Some to be powder coated, some to stay as is:
Most of parts that I have been waiting for have arrived which have allowed me to progress, but that hasn’t been without it’s issues. For example I have been trying to plan ahead best as possible but there is the odd part which you forget about in the chain of assembly which puts a hold on certain jobs. The latest is fork gaiters. The old ones looked pretty turdy so a fresh set are making their way over from Germany:
I have split my forks and the bottom ends are off getting vapour blasted. I will be shortening them (next post!) but I need my fork gaiters to arrive before I reassemble them to the motorbike.
Hopefully the delivery is quicker than the rear shock I am still waiting for which feels like it’s being transported by the below:
Ah yes wheels, probably a pretty important part of the build and one that has taken up the majority of my stress currently. If you nail the wheels and stance, it completes the bike:
I have had a bit of a mission trying to get something sorted for my bike. the bike came with a spare set of hubs so this put me at an advantage from the offset. I got them sent away for powder coating and ready to be built up to a new rim. I know that I wanted fatter wheels, like the below:
Initially I had sent a request to a wheel builder in England with the sizes I want and subsequently fell off the chair when they gave me the quote. (£973 if anyone was wondering). So I searched the second hand market, and a dude in Denmark came back with the exact sizes I needed:
Perfect! Except the front one needed new spokes and the back one was from a later model with a disc brake, so also needed rebuilt to my older drum brake hub, which made them about the same price as a new set.
By this point I had stripped my bike down so I also got into a situation where I started freaking out about whether the chunky tyres I wanted to fit would rub on the bike. I had measured a clearance of 4.7″ on the back before stripping it down, but a 4.5″ rim with those chunky tyres (like that KTM picture) left me a little nervous.
I found a Scottish wheel builder who could build me a set for just over £600, So I have been speaking with him. I dropped my wheels off last week, but due to the style of the spokes on the rear hub, and the unique drilling pattern of the holes on the rim, I am looking at a 6 week lead time for parts….with a show in 7 weeks.
Also the Wheel builder would have to strip my only working wheels to send away a few of the spokes for measurement. Unfortunately, I cannot risk the rear wheel being damaged so I have shit canned that idea, and decided to see if a front 19″ x 2.5″ wheel can be made in less time. Currently there is a 21″ x 1.6″ so this will definitely beef up the front of the bike. The only issue is there may be differences between the rear and front colours, which is playing with my OCD. I may have another option, will report back soon!
Unfortunately there are still parts to order (sorry work) but I would say I am about 90% of the way there, the last 10% is the new Ducati scrambler which I will take to the show instead and pretend I built it!
For anyone who reads this (lol mum and dad), I am also on Instagram, I tend to post daily updates on there if you can’t wait a whole week for your fix of how i am fucking up this bike project, there’s a link on my webpage 🙂